Network icon disabled in ubuntu 11.10/12.04 -- Solved



Today I successfully upgraded my system from Ubuntu 11.04 to 11.10. All went well and I was feeling happy about the Lightgdm interface and the improved window management system. Then I noticed my network manager applet icon which was in offline or disconnected mode, to my surprise I was able to go online without any issues.

I then checked in the Network manager config file found under /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf, and I came across ifupown managed=false, So I quickly stopped the Network Management service and changed the [ ifupdown managed] value to true and all went back to normal.
Steps to get it going:

Firstly
, stop the network manager service by typing in terminal:sudo service network-manager stop
Open nautilus in sudo mode by typing in terminal: sudo nautilus
Goto etc/NetworkManager and open NetworkManager.conf.


Change the managed value to true:


Restart the Network Manger service by typing in: sudo service network-manager start
And after that your Network Manger should be back online.
Reactions

Post a Comment

0 Comments